Tuesday, March 6, 2012

No Rest For the... Worried Pet Owner

I had to sleep sitting upright in the chair two nights ago.  Long story, but there were a few things going on:

1)  Maera had been trying to vomit off and on for hours.  We didn't do anything at first, since she was still eating and seemed to be in good spirits, but Jeff wound up taking her to the emergency vet in the middle of the night.

* Maera is just fine.  Jeff said that he was in the parking lot of the vet when she let out a tremendous cough, and then didn't cough again for the rest of the night.  Yes, even when she was getting checked out by the vet.  Of course.

2)  Charlotte had started to, then failed, to throw up.  This freaked out both Jeff and I, because of her various health issues that may or may not exist, and was the reason that I stayed home from Maera's little trip to the vet - someone needed to keep an eye on Char.

3)  I was running on adrenaline at this point, and simply could NOT get back to sleep.  Every time Jeff twitched, or a dog turned around in the crates, or a cat scratched in the litter box on the other side of the house, my eyes would snap open.

4)  I had picked up some kind of intestinal bug over the weekend (whee!)

So I decided to move downstairs where there were fewer distractions, to sleep in the recliner.

It worked well, except that two of the distractions came with me.  Charlotte took up her customary position on the headrest of the chair above my head, and Bit curled up in my lap.  Since both of them fell asleep, it wasn't that bad, and I was able to drift off into sleep at long last, with two of my girls.

One of whom I was supposed to be keeping an eye on, so all is well that ends well, I suppose.

Charlotte seems to be fine...  we're still trying to watch her very closely, but I'm hoping that the problem is that she has hairballs that she can't quite dislodge.  With the changing of the seasons, she's shedding handfuls of fur, so it would make sense.


  1. I have had my share of nights like that!!! So glad all seems to be good now!!!
    I stayed up all night the last night Bambi was live!!! Didn't even try to sleep. I was so glad I did b/c her heart stopped at 6:15 am and I was right there with her!! She gave me a kiss good by!!!

  2. it is a conspiracy we say!! We hope everyone is feeling better soon (and don't it figure they never do the thing in front of the vet)....

  3. Sorry it was such a rough night! We've had a few of those, and they're no fun!

  4. So sorry you had such a rough night ... especially when you were already feeling ill. Isn't that always the way?

  5. Yikes, that sounds like a rough and sleepless night, indeed. Hope you're all feeling better real soon.