Many people think that we're crazy for having a houseful of animals, and well, they may have a point there. But I wouldn't give it up for anything, as I'm sure most of you would agree. I've been mulling over a list for a few weeks now, and would like to provide it to you. Reasons to have multiple animals. Some reasons are more serious than others.
1. You never, ever have to sleep alone. There is always SOMEONE who wants to snuggle up beside you.
2. You never, ever have to go to the bathroom alone. I don't know. Maybe this isn't such a good one to include in the list. Even if it is true.
3. Their antics will make you laugh.
4. Their interactions with one another will give you plenty of insight into the human condition. Since I've had my animals, I've become much better at stripping the varnish and gloss from people's words, and seeing the truth underneath it all. We're not so different from them.
5. You save multiple lives by adopting them.
6. You will never ever have an excuse to be bored again.
7. You will become great friends with the workers at your local Petco or similar store. Between dog kibble, cat kibble, canned cat food, cat litter, toys, training treats, litter box deodorizer, enzymatic cleaner, etc. etc., it is a rare weekend that we don't have to pop in.
8. If you have dogs, you will get to know every dog owner on your block, in your dog park, etc. They will know your dog's name, and if you're lucky, will remember yours.
9. It's tremendously fun to see a new animal's personality emerging as he or she gets more comfortable around you.
10. They are all so excited to see you when you get home, and compete for your attention throughout the day. It's difficult to not be flattered by this, even if you do sometimes have to put the brakes on the competitive attention-hogging for them.
11. You will wonder what you ever talked about before getting the animals.
12. You will find yourself saying things that you'd never dreamed of before: "Maera, get your head out from under the radiator" was the winning phrase of the day here.
13. You will never be cold again.
14. It will make your heart grow.
OK, I'm sure that most of these are true even if you have one pet... no judgment if you decide to stick with one! But if you DID want to sneak in a second, or third, or fourth... maybe one of these reasons will be your justification? (Me, the Enabler.)